Sunday, March 11, 2012

A little maintenance

While helping out a loved one recently, I did some furniture polishing. I was amazed anew at how much the application of lemon oil brought a drab old table to life. The old dry grey wood took on new shine with a deep patina. The more I applied, the better it got.

I've been out of lemon oil at home for some time now. So I hit Target and brought home a fresh bottle of regular along with my first-ever purchase of lemon oil for dark wood.

Wow! My 30-year-old oak table that I refinished seven years ago was so thirsty. I could practically hear it sucking up the oil. I reapplied oil again today. The drab old table shines gloriously in the dining room now, looking loved and proud.

What happens when we delay maintenance on ourselves? Without the periodic application of oil, polish, lotion or lubricant -- albeit physical, spiritual or mental -- we get dry, thirsty and drab. Take time today. Polish something, someone or your self. Apply life-giving oil, whether it be a smile, a compliment, a random act of kindness, or a quick escape from the daily madness that is our workaday commute. Read from God's Word and let His loving kindness breathe new life into your spirit.

You'll come away with a new shine. And a smaile makes a pretty patina.

1 comment:

  1. So great to see you back here! And your words couldn't have come at a better time. Love you bunches girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete